[mythtv-users] Swedish characters in database

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Oct 10 10:05:26 UTC 2007

>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/264510#264510
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/227559#227559
>>>
>>> So, what you need to do is find the locations where we're missing the
>>> UTF encode/decode in the MythTV source code and submit a patch.
>>>
>> Just so I understand it. Swedish characters are not encoded/decoded
>> correctly and should be considered as a Myth bug. The data in mysql is
>> (should be) always UTF-8??
>>
>> Is this a correct understanding??
>
> AIUI, Swedish characters should be handled correctly in many (most?)
> places in Myth.  However, there may be places in Myth where the
> conversion doesn't properly occur.  If you can identify a specific place
> where they're not handled correctly you may have found a bug.  Though
> the best thing to do is post a specific question here to determine
> whether it's a bug, a configuration issue, or broken data (from EIT,
> grabbers, scripts, ...) before reporting it on Trac.
>
> In other words, a ticket titled, "Swedish characters don't work in
> MythTV," would likely be closed as invalid unless it contained specific
> information to identify a point where we're missing some needed code.

Historically, all this is because, as I understand it, Mysql is made by a
Swedish company, and that was the default character set that was used by them.
If this problem had been recognised (and fixed) in the dim and distant
beginnings of Myth... hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I wonder what will happen in the future as Myth becomes more popular worldwide.
I know we have a guy in Japan can get that character set OK, but...

Is there any plan, even remote, to make Myth properly Unicode?

Mike Perkins