[mythtv-users] Small distribution

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Wed Oct 10 13:42:00 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, shacky <shacky83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why not install one of the regular distros known t work well with Myth
> > and then just remove everything you don't want or need?
>
> So you're advising me to install a minimal Debian stable with MythTV?

Or take the shortcut with Knoppmyth or Mythbuntu or Mythdora -
Mythbuntu worked for me.  I was looking for a no-fuss solution, using
amd64 so no knoppmyth, Mythbuntu comes on 1 CD instead of 2 for
Mythdora, so I went with it after my Gentoo install ate itself.

It was actually the fault of a beta usb networking driver that was not
part of the Gentoo distro - I got an ethernet/wireless bridge instead
after a lockup corrupted the root partition and the database 1 day
into operations.  The Wife Acceptance Factor was declining so I didn't
want to take another weekend out to install Gentoo and tune it up
again, a binary distro seemed more prudent.

Mythbuntu 7.04 had some issues with auto-partitioning drives, and it
assumes you have a mouse and keyboard hooked up for configuration
activities - you should be careful to disable their custom control
centre feature in mythfrontend's setup menu if you don't provide those
input devices to your users, or they can get stuck.  Otherwise it
works great - runtime working set is slim and the disk footprint is
not too bulky.