[mythtv-users] How to make people watch TV in real time

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 10 16:44:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 04:38:58PM -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> The fantasy football junkie in me won't let me do that.  And with
> sports news diseminated so quickly, sports are really the one thing I
> do watch live (and have to suffer through commercials for -- and
> commercials during non-superbowl football, are REAL bad...i.e. "This
> is MYYYYYYYYY COUNTRYYYYYYYY")

This makes, inadvertantly, a very good point about broadcast television
in the naughties.

If a network is really motivated to increase its overnight ratings for
programs, then encouraging any communities which form around them
(instead of discouraging them, as oh, say, Fox has been known to do;
threatening lawsuits against fansites, etc) is the most productive
thing they can do: it motivates people to want to watch in real time so
they don't have to avoid {spoilers on their} mailing lists.

Cheers,
-- jra