[mythtv-users] Confused About HDHomeRun -- SOLVED!!!

Joe Harvell jharvell+lists.mythtv-users at dogpad.net
Thu Oct 11 02:33:18 UTC 2007

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10/2/2007 9:51 AM Rich West wrote:
>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:

>>> Good guess!  This was the problem.
>>>

>> Interestingly enough, when I did my HDHomeRun install and got the 3_1,
>> 6_1, 6_2, etc channels, I just thought that was 'the way things were'.
>> I adjusted my recordings accordingly to utilize the new channel numbers..
>>
>> How did you go about editing the call sign info?
>>

> As I understand it, the 3_1, 3_2, etc. is just a display number and
> actually has nothing to do with tuning the card.  It is the freqid field
> in the channels table that is the key to tuning.
>
> Anyway, callsign is just another field in the channels table.  You can
> edit either via Mythweb settings page or directly in the channels
> table.  My situation is as follows:
>
> Local channels are: (I have more but these will serve as an example)
>
>  3     KCRA (NBC - Analog)
>  3_1   KCRA-DT (NBC - Digital 16:9)
>  3_2   KCRA-SD (NBC - Digital 4:3)
>
> 10     KXTV (ABC - Analog)
> 10_1   KXTV-DT (ABC - Digital 16:9)
> 10_2   KXTV-DT2 (Usually local news and weather but SD broadcasts during
> prime time - 4:3)
>
> I have a PVR-250 card attached to a DirecTV tuner through which I get
> analog locals.  I also have a pcHDTV 3000 card and a HDHomeRun all
> attached to a roof antenna.  All three only receive digital signal.  I
> have two lineups on Schedules Direct, one for DirecTV (sourceid 1) and
> one for antenna (sourceid 2).  Default channel setup resulted in this
>
> chanid     sourceid     channum     callsign     name
> ------     --------     -------     --------     ----
>   1003         1            3       KCRA         KCRA
>   2031         2            3_1     KCRADT       KCRADT
>   2032         2            3_2     KCRADT2      KCRADT2
>   1010         1           10       KXTV         KXTV
>   2101         2           10_1     KXTVDT       KXTVDT
>   2101         2           10_2     KXTVDT2      KXTVDT2
>

> Many times the exact same show is broadcast both on the analog channel
> and digital channels.  Because recordings from the PVR-250 only consume
> 2.2 GB per hour and recordings from the other tuners consume around 7
> GB, I want the PVR-250 to have first priority *UNLESS* the broadcast is
> an HD broadcast.  I also wanted to avoid the situation where programs
> without specific episode identifying information are recorded by
> multiple tuners at the same time..
>
> To meet my goals, the first step was to edit the channel table so that
> callsigns with the same programming at the same time matched.  Thus I
> changed the callsigns for all my versions of channel 3 to KCRA.
> Additionally, I changed 10 and 10_1 to KXTV but left 10_2 at KXTVDT2
> because during the day its programming doesn't follow the other two
> channel 10s.
>
> This is the end result:
>
> chanid     sourceid     channum     callsign     name
> ------     --------     -------     --------     ----
>   1003         1            3       KCRA         KCRA
> [...]

My only question is how does this affect retrieving of the programming data?

Is the callsign used to match up the channel in the lineup with the
channel from the "channel" table?  I suppose that if the programming SD
provides for KCRA and KCRA_DT are the same all the time, then there is
actually less data to retrieve when mythfilldatabase runs.  Is that what
happens?  The next time I run mythfilldatabase it will ignore the
KCRA_DT channel in the lineup because there is no channel in
mythconverg?  What about when channels get added to the lineup?  How
will I make them be added to mythconverg without having the KCRA_DT
channel added as a new channel as well?