[mythtv-users] 2nd try at a MythTV FE/BE design

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:49:29 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Chuck Rudolph <rudolph4404 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  After reading over the many welcome comments in my first attempt at
> designing my
> first MythTV box (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/289526),
> I've put together my revised shopping list.

> I'm looking for recommendations to the following. Over built? Under built?
> Too noisy? Too hot? Too ugly? Too geeky? Not geeky enough?

  Am I forgetting anything?

> Thanks for you shared expertise...
>
> -Chuck Rudolph
> Email: rudolph4404 at comcast.net

Chuck - I'm not an expert - but I'll throw my two cents in.

I started off with a combined BE/FE - but quickly separated into a dedicated
server/backend with separate frontends system.  I think one of the key
benefits of Myth (relative to the 'other' solutions) is the client/server
model.

My backend is built into a really ugly big box that's hidden.  It now has 5
HDDs in it (1x200GB system and 4x750GB) (which are noisy) and a few fans
which are also not silent.  It's a C2D with 2 GB of memory - which would be
overkill for 'just' a mythbackend - but it's picked up more and more server
tasks - now it runs slimserver, zoneminder, vmware server, and a few other
things as well as serving as the central repositary of
photos/music/videos/etc.

I have three frontends - the best by far is an Intel Mac Mini running
linux.  Small, cute, completely silent, well built, ...  My other 2 backends
are old laptops that have been repurposed as frontends driving separate
Monitors/TVs.

So - without knowing your budget - I'd think through a separate
backend/frontend before going too far, and highly recommend a Mac Mini
running Linux as a frontend.