[mythtv-users] Myth Update

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:55:27 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:57 AM, James Fidell wrote:
>
> > Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >
> >> yum -y upgrade is the supported method of upgrading. Some people have
> >> reported success with yum -y upgrade \*myth\* but it is definitely
> >> not recommended.
> >> yum -y upgrade mythtv* definitely will NOT upgrade correctly. For
> >> instance, your libmyth stuff will not upgrade with that command.
> >
> > Have to admit that I've not exactly tried it that way, but I have done
> > stuff like:
> >
> >   yum update pkg1 pkg2 ...
> >
> > and yum resolves all the dependencies, pulling in additional
> > packages as
> > required (in fact, I have a load of systems doing exactly that right
> > now).  Is libmyth not listed as a dependency for the other myth
> > packages, or does yum work differently for wildcard package names (I
> > can't see anything to that effect on the manpage, but this is open
> > source: who believes what they read on the manpage any more? :)
> >
> > James
>
> I don't know, but I do know you will get a lot further asking for
> help once you've used the supported method of upgrading. :)

I installed Mythdora 4.0 from scratch, and then ran yum -y upgrade \*myth\*
- After that I used the hunt-and-peck method to update the other broken
components. I'd come across something that didn't work, upgrade it, and move
along (ivtv, mythstream, mythmusic, etc). I had to add some repos using
Jarod's guide to upgrade certain pieces. Probably not the best way to
upgrade, but it worked for me.