[mythtv-users] dual monitors on myth?

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Thu Oct 11 16:36:51 UTC 2007

Todd wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu based frontend/backend/desktop system.   I  may have
> an extra monitor available and am pondering whether slapping a dual
> headed card into the box and using both monitors might work to allow,
> say,  myth doing its thing full screen on one while seeing the desktop
> in the other.
>
> Feasible?  Goofy?  Problematic?  Pointless?
>
> Recommendations on a thrifty and quiet PCI Express based dual headed
> analog display card?

My MBE is setup in the "office" at my house. It has dual monitors on it.
By the way, once you go dual you never go back, so be careful. I first
went dual with an old crappy monitor on its last leg, when it died I was
feening for a replacement.

Often my girlfriend is watching TV on the MFE in the living room (some
silly show I don't want to watch) so I go back to the office and fire up
mythfrontend on one monitor and use the other monitor for some light
browsing in firefox.

So its certainly feasible. I'm using an el cheapo AGP FX5200 with two
VGA monitors. The only problem I have is that my system is pretty old
with only a gig of RAM. Firefox gets slow and mythfrontend gets jerky if
all 3 of my tuners are going.

Mike