[mythtv-users] Fanless: What about VIA mobos ?

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Thu Oct 11 21:03:14 UTC 2007

On Friday, 5 October 2007 16:40:18 -0700,
David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote :

> I have a VIA motherboard with a 1 GHz Nehemiah M10000 CPU.  It
> serves in a combined frontend/backend.  Live TV works fine.  However,
> I'm using an MPEG2 capture card, so the load of encoding the
> recorded video doesn't fall on the CPU.  I'm also using XvMC
> acceleration for playback.

That's nice to know in the light of the VIA Arena messages I read
today, a lot of them telling sqaurely to stay away from VIA and live TV
applications because, I gather, of DMA problems.

I presume the Hauppage PVR500 I'm presently using has an MPEG encoder,
or so the documentation says.  But what about XvMC ?  Will it be
detected and properly parametrized by, say, the Mythdora install, or
are there software patches and such to add to enable it ?

Al