[mythtv-users] Idea for possible workaround to stop bogus EDID data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 11 21:59:26 UTC 2007

On 10/11/2007 05:08 PM, Christopher David Petersen wrote:
> I've tried both
>
> Option "UseEDID" "false"
>
> and
>
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
>
> with my *SiS* driver to no effect.
>
> I think "IgnoreEDID" is a deprecated option for nVidia drivers, with
> "UseEDID" being it's replacement.
>
> Have either been implemented for any other drivers other than nVidia?

Let me try again... NVIDIA's driver is broken.  It should /not/ use EDID
information instead of command-line/configuration settings.  However,
since they made a broken driver, they included a setting to ignore the
EDID information.

If you're using the open-source SiS driver (again saying, "if," because
you haven't told us whether you are or not), it--having been developed
by the X developers, themselves--would not be broken and would use the
X-approved approach of actually doing what the user asks (via
command-line/configuration options) rather than assuming the user is a
fool who doesn't know what he/she wants (the approach NVIDIA--a company
that's accustomed to developing software for Windows users, who tend to
fit that bill--has taken).

So, assuming you're using the X.org (or XFree86) open-source driver, you
don't need to disable EDID.  You just need to provide the right
options.  Or, in the case where you're using a (IMHO, broken) distro
that specifies -dpi in the X command line, you need to /not/ provide the
wrong option.

Mike