[mythtv-users] Sound track overwhelmingly the dialog (HD sound)

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 23:57:02 UTC 2007

> I've noticed similar problems with my local CW affiliate (KNIN-HD 9.1)
> in Boise, ID.  All programming on this channel, including SD and
> commercials, are broadcast in Dolby 5.1.  There is obviously re-encoding
> going on, and they aren't doing a very good job of it.  My biggest
> complaint is that they send frequencies that are way too high over the
> ".1" subwoofer channel.  My Receiver obviously doesn't do any filtering
> on the digital subwoofer channel, so I actually have to tweak the
> lowpass filter on my subwoofers (yes, I have two) in order to watch
> programming on this channel.  It's quite annoying.
>
> -darren

I've noticed moderate problems with the CW too.  My audio is Prologic
for this channel.

I set my low pass filter on my sub to, I think, 50hz a long time ago and
left it alone.  The cross over point is a function of the frequency
response of your mains vs your sub.  You should be able to figure out
where you mains drop off and set you sub to that frequency.  Set it and
forget it.

I recommend getting the AVIA home theater calibration disk and a sound
meter from Radio Shack.  However, for setting the sub volume, I used the
use the 5.0 and 0.1 white noise test tones to set the sub volume rather
than the normal 1.0 and 0.1 test tones.  (This should make sense when
you go to set your sub volume.)

Good luck
Jon