[mythtv-users] IR failed

Anil Gupte anil-list at icinema.com
Fri Oct 12 07:08:13 UTC 2007

I have two myth systems I have been using for a while.  One is in a Silverstone box, and it started to give me a small problem.  The remote did not work.  I figured out that if I pressed the IR wire into the board really hard the remote worked.  So probably because of the way the card fits in this box, it was not going in all the way.

Anyway, now even that does not work.  So I compared the two systems and found that when I do

ps ax | grep irc

I get the following on the good system
2098 ?     s       0:19    [lirc_dev]
2233 ?     Ss     0:00    /usr/local/sbin/lircd
2235 ?     Ss     0:00    /usr/local/bin/lirexec -d /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc

but on the problem system I only get the first line.  So, I suppose that means for some reason the drivers are not loading.  Incidentally, I swapped the cards, the IR cord, the remote, and I also resintalled the system - same behavior on the problem system.

This is a wild guess on my part, but in the problem system (Silverstone horizontal case) I am using a riser card.  Is it possible that the riser card is eating up the weak signal from the IR?  I tried new batteries on the remote just in case to test this theory :-) but no luck.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Anil Gupte