[mythtv-users] Myth Update

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:03:35 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:34 PM, NoName Anonymous wrote:
>
>> That's the problem.  As far as I know I DID use the supported
>> proceedure.  I used "yum -y upgrade mythtv-suite" which is exactly
>> what has been stated.  That said there was nothing to upgrade and I
>> knew that was false because I needed the Schedules Direct additions.
>
> As far as I'm aware, when using ATrpms, the only supported method of
> upgrade is yum upgrade. Despite what it says on other people's website
> for stuff that works for them.

Please correct me if things have changed but I seem to recall that
Axel's standard response to unresolvable dependency issues with apt and
yum is to try Smart:

'yum install smart smart-gui'

...should get you started. Assuming you have installed
atrpms-package-config from his repo, the first time you run Smart it
indicates that new channels have been found and asks if you want to
include them in your Smart sources. Keep in mind that if your rpm config
has been updated piecemeal using experimentation, the integrity may be
such that backing up mythconverg and starting over may be best. Just
remember to install Smart immediately before the howto has you issue
thew 'yum update' command. Then use Smart from there on out. Perhaps you
might address this problem on the atrpms-users list before trying such a
drastic measure.

In addition to being much faster than yum's, Smart's depsolver seems to
be much more robust at solving the tricky situations. My first attempts
at x86_64 under FC4 using yum were unsuccessful. After the initial
install and issuing the big update, yum would churn for about an hour
and a half and then nothing. I made the switch to Smart and haven't
looked back. It also handles upgradeable kernels far more gracefully
than yum.

--
mw