[mythtv-users] The Coax Straightjacket: Stopping Cable Copy-Protection Abuse

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 12 16:32:07 UTC 2007

This link: http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000310.html

is an interesting article about cableco's changing the 'do not copy byte'.

Does anyone know of any programs which would allow a user to find the
CCI byte in a digital stream?

I'm in Canada, and the use of a program to find, and even change the CCI
byte in a digital file on my computer is not illegal. And although the
MPAA and RIAA believe otherwise, I do not think that it breaches the US
DMCA, although that is just my opinion, and relies in part upon my
necessarily fuzzy understanding of the US Copyright Act fair use
doctrine, as explained by SCOTUS in the Betamax decision.

Geoff