[mythtv-users] Idea for possible workaround to stop bogus EDID data

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 12 19:08:47 UTC 2007

On 10/12/2007 12:31 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Christopher David Petersen wrote:

>>> Yes.  The -dpi command-line argument takes precedence over all
>>> others.
>>> DisplaySize is used next.  That is exactly why I think all distros
>>> that
>>> use -dpi in the hidden/"not for users to change" scripts they use to
>>> start X are broken--because they make it near impossible for an
>>> unsuspecting user to set the DisplaySize/DPI.
>> I've been looking, lurking, and googling, but haven't found where the
>> -dpi setting would be.
>>
>> On a MythDora 4.0 installation (which is FedoraCore 6), in which file
>> would I find (or set) the -dpi command line argument?
> Maybe try the brute force method:
>
> cd /etc
> grep -r "-dpi" *

Good idea.

I was hoping someone with specific FC (or MythDora) knowledge would help
out (since I know nothing of either), but since they haven't, yet, I'll
mention that the "normal" approach for starting X is to run a script
startx (often /usr/bin/startx), which will then execute a program called
xinit (which may be /usr/bin/xinit, if on a recent X.org, but may be
buried in a /usr/X11R6 subdirectory on some systems).  Often the call to
xinit includes arguments for the server (sometimes hard-coded in the
script/program that calls xinit, sometimes provided through command-line
arguments or environment variables).

If you're using gdm or another display manager, though, there may be
more to worry about in addition.

So, you may need to widen your search a bit, too.

Mike