[mythtv-users] Still no AC3 passthrough...

Greg Arena gma at gmadigitaldesign.com
Fri Oct 12 22:55:22 UTC 2007

Tried it just now. I renamed .asoundrc so MythTV wouldn't use it,
set the main audio output to "ALSA:default", and set the
passthrough device to "ALSA:spdif". Worked OK for SD channels,
but didn't work when I tried to watch something with AC3 data (HD
broadcast/DVD) - I got silence.

I see this message printed by mythfrontend every time I try this
with "ALSA:spdif" or "ALSA:iec958":

2007-10-12 18:41:38.056 Opening ALSA audio device 'spdif'.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1105:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find
definition
'cards.CMI8738-MC6.pcm.iec958.3:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES
3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such
file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2143:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
2007-10-12 18:41:38.058 AudioOutput Error: snd_pcm_open(spdif):
No such file or directory
2007-10-12 18:41:38.058 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is:
snd_pcm_open(spdif): No such file or directory

Can anybody explain what this "Unable to find definition ..."
message means?