[mythtv-users] Video Card Usage

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Oct 14 18:31:41 UTC 2007

Timothy M. Admire wrote:
> OK.  I have an NVIDIA card that is a few years old that was a nice card and has svideo out... Would it be better to use that?  I need to keep the load off the CPU as it is only 600mhz...

A 600 Mhz. CPU can decode MPEG2, but BARELY. It would have to be doing
just about nothing else, and be running highly optimized code.

I suspect that running Myth, along with any graphical desktop, would be
beyond its capability.

That is unless you use XvMV to get some decoding help from the GPU, in
which case you will need to use the nVidia card, and it will be doing
substantial work, or use the 350 to decode the MPEG.

I have seen passive heatsinks that can be installed on a fan-equipped
graphics card to eliminate the fan, you might look around for one of
those of the fan is a problem for you.

So your options are the nVidia card with a fan or retrofit heatsink, or
the 350, which will not do HD and stands a chance of becoming obsolete
sometime in the future.

beww