[mythtv-users] OT: Confused about infrared devices

Dave dave at 0bits.com
Sun Oct 14 21:21:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

Ok, so this is not directly mythtv related, but i've done a lot of
reading and need some clarification. If a CIR device is said to be a
reciever can it also transmit ? This may seem a stupid question but in
the same vein, "USB card readers" can infact also write.

I needed a usb IR receiver for my mytbox as my case's Zalman HD135 IR
doesn't work (no one's written a driver yet), so i bought a soundgraph knob

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/imon23.aspx

and it works perfectly with mythtv when using my variety of remotes, but
am wondering since it's a CIR device can i also use 'irsend' to send
commands to my AMP / Satbox to switch it on and off for example ? Does
anyone have one of these devices and can confirm/deny it works for
sending ir commands ? Sure i can try, but i'm not sure if some misconfig
on my part will not result in the desired behavior. I'd hate to buy yet
another device like the usbirt, irblaster, etc, just to find that
something i already have will work.

Thanks