[mythtv-users] HVR-3000 DVB-S tuning problems

Mark Guz mark at guz.org.uk
Mon Oct 15 08:38:57 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Mark Guz <mark at guz.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've just installed a shiny new Hauppauge HVR-3000 card in my myth box.
> After some driver compiling and head scratching the hardware now works
> perfectly, and using dvbstream i can lock on to channels on Astra 2D 28.2E,
> particularly BBC1 Scotland, ITV Grampian etc, however within Mythv (i used
> both 0.20 and 0.21cvs) i can only pick up channels from Astra 2A/B and the
> signal strength is only reported as 5%, plus the picture suffers from
> peep/squeek and breakup.
>
> With dvbstream and the original digibox, all transponders are available
> and all channels are clear and suffer no break up.
>
> I am in the Netherlands and have a dish pointed at Astra 28.2E and the LNB
> is a UNIVERSAL variety.
>
> I have seen some talk of mythtv not working too well with dvb-s and other
> talk of it working just fine.
>
> I don't think the hvr-3000 is at fault as there are no problems using
> dvbstream and the dish/lnb is definately ok, so the only thing left is myth
> itself.
>
> Is there a known problem, am I doing something wrong? I set the diseqc to
> universal LNB and i don't see anywhere else i can configure options.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Guz

More info:

The LNB is set to universal (LNB LOF Low 9750, High, 10600, Switch 11700)

I have removed myth completely and downloaded and compiled the latest SVN,
which made no difference.

Interestingly I can't find the channels on any of the transponders listed as
Astra 2D  28.2E but can on 2A/B using scandvb or mythtv but i can lock
directly onto channels using dvbstream.

I had a look at the LNB settings on my sky digibox and they are set to 9.57,
10.6 and 22kHz tone=ON. I don't find anywhere in mythtv to set this 22kHz
tone but if i switch it off on my digibox, i loose a lot of channels. So i
have a feeling the myth isn't setting the LNB up properly, but given that I
knew ZERO about LNBs a week ago, I'm prepared to be proven wrong..

Any help, tips, pointers links would be be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mark Guz