[mythtv-users] ATI video card, which one? (Chris Ribe)

Baha Baydar bbaydar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 03:57:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

On 10/15/07, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
<mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:

>   10. ATI video card, which one? (Chris Ribe)

The docs that ATI released cover the R500 and R600 series chips, so
you're going to be looking for at least a Radeon 1000, or 2000 series
card. You can probably find a decent 1650 card for under $100, but I
would suggest one of the newer 2600 series cards for maximum return on
investment.

There is some good info here
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/01/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/
although it is geared towards gaming it should help you decide what
level of performance to shoot for.

I was able to get DVI output working just fine in KDE with a version
or two back of the binary blob drivers from ATI, on a 1950XT card. 3D
performace was great although there were some texture issues at times.

Hope that helps,

--
Baha Baydar                      http://www.hyperion.org
bbaydar at gmail.com           http://www.aztekrally.org