[mythtv-users] Epia EN12000 and MythTV

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Wed Oct 17 13:43:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, October 17, 2007 14:36, shacky wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I assembled my new Mini-ITX system based on a Via Epia EN12000 Fanless
> motherboard and I wish to use it as MythTV frontend only, because the
> backend is on another server connected in the LAN.
> Some weeks ago I used a frontend based on the Asus Pundit barebone and
> an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU with 512 Mb RAM and it worked well
> without any slow motion on live TV.
> Now I'm testing the new Epia system (it has a 1.2 GHz and 1 Gb RAM
> DDR2) but it is very very slow! The live TV shows very slow and the
> motion isn't fluid at all. The video is very very slow.
> I realized that the "mythfrontend" process takes 99.7% of the CPU.
> But I read that someone is using the EN12000 with MythTV without any
> problem and my reseller told that it is enough for a mediacenter
> system.
> I'm using Debian testing (lenny) as distro but I tested Knoppmyth and
> it has the same problem.
>
> Anyone could help me please?

Make sure you use the proper OpenChrome drivers and XvMC... That should
make a world of difference!

I used a Epia V8000 (800Mhz) with a nVidia PCI VGA-card (V8000ś
don't have MPEG2 support) and Hauppauge PVR-250 as BE/FE, and except for
DVD playback, it was able to do all it without stutter, as long as it
didn't have to do simultaneous flagging... So a frontend should work!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250