[mythtv-users] 1 CableDigital Lineup available to chose but need 2 sources from it

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 17 14:03:40 UTC 2007

On 10/17/2007 09:41 AM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 17:29 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> It turns out that the message you're seeing is a bit misleading.  That
>> message ("This DataDirect listings source is shared by 2 MythTV
>> lineups") is printed out any time 2 separate video sources use SD with
>> the same userid and password--regardless of whether the lineupid is
>> identical.  It seems that some of the "setup" data (i.e. cookies, lists
>> of lineups available, etc.--that's necessary for downloading listings
>> data from any/all lineups) is cached, so the message is still output.
>> However, the program listings data is not being cached because there's
>> no way to download partial lineups from SD/TMS, so doing so wouldn't be
>> of any benefit.
> Michael, as of 0.20.2 and later we download the data only once per
> account per mythfilldatabase run per day of listings, so that first
> download downloads data for both of David's lineups for a particular
> time period.

OK.  But the point is that when selecting the "same channel" on multiple
SD lineups, mythfilldatabase does not reuse the listings data downloaded
for that channel from the first lineup (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/295993#295993 ).
Even though David has two separate lineups, and it looks like Myth is
able to pull listings for one from another, both /are/ being
downloaded--they're just both being downloaded at the same time before
the first video source is processed.

>  Also, using a digital and an analog lineup from the same
> cable provider is no less efficient than using only the digital lineup.
> Not everyone can use David's setup because QAM and firewire recordable
> channels may not be in the analog lineup and some cable providers do
> not even have an analog lineup anymore, but it's a perfectly valid
> setup when it is possible to set things up this way.
>
> Using multiple similar DataDirect lineups used to be very inefficient
> in the labs days but we do a lot better job at caching now.

Right.  I wasn't trying to say that using different lineups is
inefficient and should be avoided.  I was actually trying to show why
it's more efficient to use the new "caching" ability than it would be to
get SD/TMS to allow users to create multiple lineups using the same
provider (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/295989#295989 ).
With the current approach, we can reuse the data because we know that
all channels are pulling data from the same lineup's listings.  If the
user had multiple lineups from a single provider, we would need an
ability to "partially download" a lineup's listings to be able to reuse
the listings data--otherwise, we would just have to re-download (and
TMS/SD would have to re-process) the listings for channels on multiple
lineups.

I was trying to say that we can only reuse the program listings data if
the lineup is shared by multiple video sources and that the whole reason
you added this ability to cache the data when using the same lineup for
multiple sources is efficiency.

> The cookie caching stuff you saw is for the frontend channel editor
> and a future channel scanner/importer; neither of these work at the
> moment because I'm still working on the Schedules Direct server side
> of the equation for this functionality.

Cool.

Mike