[mythtv-users] wireless keyboard

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Oct 17 16:04:15 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 11:16:43 Micheal Drew wrote:
> I'm a noob to this so pls be nice but are there any wireless
> keyboards/mouse combos that work. I been pulling my hair out trying to get
> an answer but getting any definitive answers. I'm looking at logitech
> keyboards.

Any wireless keyboard that plugs into a normal wired keyboard port (PS/2 or
USB) will work just like a wired keyboard that plugs into the same port.
Ditto for mice, even if they're built into the keyboard. Many wireless
keyboards fit this description; the main exceptions are those that aren't
meant for use with PCs (for instance, keyboards for use with Palm Pilots).
There are also Bluetooth keyboards, and I don't know how they'd get along
with MythTV.

There are two broad categories of wireless keyboards and mice: infrared (IR)
and radio frequency (RF). (Bluetooth keyboards might be a third category, but
I know very little about them.) IR keyboards are getting a bit rare, but the
last I checked some were still available. They have the advantage that some
IR remote controls can be programmed to emulate the keyboard, so that you can
program the remote in this way and use it to control MythTV without
configuring (or even installing) LIRC. RF keyboards are more popular today.
They've got the advantage of greater range and no need for a clear
line-of-sight between the keyboard and the receiver, so you can tuck the
reciver out of sight.

I've got a Lite-On SK-7500 keyboard, which is an IR unit. I don't think it's
being made any more, but there are other similar units available now. For
instance, http://www.fentek-ind.com/wireless.htm has several, although I
can't promise any of them would suit your needs.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com