[mythtv-users] HVR-3000 DVB-S tuning problems

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Oct 17 16:07:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, October 17, 2007 1:59 pm, Mark Guz wrote:
> [...]
>>

>> On 10/14/07, Mark Guz <mark at guz.org.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I've just installed a shiny new Hauppauge HVR-3000 card in my myth
>> box.
>> > After some driver compiling and head scratching the hardware now works
>> > perfectly, and using dvbstream i can lock on to channels on Astra 2D
>> > 28.2E, particularly BBC1 Scotland, ITV Grampian etc, however within
>> > Mythv (i used both 0.20 and 0.21cvs) i can only pick up channels from
>> > Astra 2A/B and the signal strength is only reported as 5%, plus the
>> picture
>> > suffers from peep/squeek and breakup.
>> >
>> > With dvbstream and the original digibox, all transponders are
>> available
>> > and all channels are clear and suffer no break up.
>> >
>> > I am in the Netherlands and have a dish pointed at Astra 28.2E and the
>> > LNB is a UNIVERSAL variety.
>> >
>> > I have seen some talk of mythtv not working too well with dvb-s and
>> > other talk of it working just fine.
>> >
>> > I don't think the hvr-3000 is at fault as there are no problems using
>> > dvbstream and the dish/lnb is definately ok, so the only thing left is
>> myth
>> > itself.
>> >
>> > Is there a known problem, am I doing something wrong? I set the diseqc
>> > to universal LNB and i don't see anywhere else i can configure
>> options.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Mark Guz
>> >

>> More info:
>>
>> The LNB is set to universal (LNB LOF Low 9750, High, 10600, Switch
>> 11700)
>>
>> I have removed myth completely and downloaded and compiled the latest
>> SVN,
>> which made no difference.
>>
>> Interestingly I can't find the channels on any of the transponders
>> listed
>> as Astra 2D  28.2E but can on 2A/B using scandvb or mythtv but i can
>> lock
>> directly onto channels using dvbstream.
>>
>> I had a look at the LNB settings on my sky digibox and they are set to
>> 9.57, 10.6 and 22kHz tone=ON. I don't find anywhere in mythtv to set
>> this
>> 22kHz tone but if i switch it off on my digibox, i loose a lot of
>> channels.
>> So i have a feeling the myth isn't setting the LNB up properly, but
>> given
>> that I knew ZERO about LNBs a week ago, I'm prepared to be proven
>> wrong..
>> > knew ZERO about LNBs a week ago, I'm prepared to be proven wrong..
>> >
>> > Any help, tips, pointers links would be be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Which drivers are you using for the HVR3000?
>

> v4l-dvb-20070818 patched for multiple simultaenous frontends.
>
> I tried to use the stoth drivers but i could only access the DVB-T port on
> those, the DVB-S port wasn't available.
>
> I'm using mythdora-4.0 with kernel  2.6.22.9-61.fc6

That might be the problem.  I'm pretty sure that the stoth drivers only
work up to kernel 2.6.18 - unless there is another patch that I've not
seen.

I think the only gotcha is that it registers, one card with two frontends
and Myth doesn't support this, so I had to symlink the 2nd frontend to a
"fake" 2nd card and then it worked.

> You can pick up channels from all transponders?

I think so.  I get as many channels as I do on my (non-sky) set-top box.
BBC1..4, ITV1..4, Film4, Men & Motors, BBCHD, News24, plus loads of others
that I don't really watch.

If there are some I'm missing I'd like to know about it ;-)