[mythtv-users] Should I get a monitor with HDCP?

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 17 18:29:24 UTC 2007

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 10/16/07, *Marc Barrett* <mnealbarrett at cox.net
> <mailto:mnealbarrett at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     I am looking at a cheap monitor from the Dell outlet store, to
>     use with MythTV, but it has High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.
>     I am worried about this interfering with MythTV in some way.  I
>     really don't know anything about HDCP.  Should I avoid any
>     monitor with this "feature", and instead get one without it?
>

> HDCP is a feature on a monitor, not a restriction.  A monitor with HDCP
> will happily display video over a non-HDCP connection.
>
> Carl Fongheiser

I would be seriously concerned if a projector or monitor I was looking
at purchasing did NOT have HDCP.  Grated my MythBox can't do the HDCP
linking but I may get a HD-DVD or BlueRay player in the future that
would require it.  Assuming I purchase a home theater receiver that has
HDMI switching, both my mythbox and the I rez-dvd player could live
together just fine.

Jon