[mythtv-users] Problem ripping Apocalypto in mythdvd.

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 17 18:59:15 UTC 2007

Sean Goodpasture top-posted (grr):
> rip it using dvddecrypter to clear the protection, then use something
> like dvd shrink to shrink it.  Unfortunately, I don't know of an all
> linux solution for these tough to rip ones.  I mostly rip on my gentoo
> box, except with these guys I have to rip on a windows box.

DVDDecrypter and DVD Shrink both work under Wine, last time I checked.  I don't
use DVD Shrink much anymore (I usually transcode to H.264 with mencoder), but
DVDDecrypter works like a champ.  There are two caveats:

1) Wine needs to be set to run DVDDecrypter in WinNT4 compatibility mode.
2) A DVD needs to be in the drive and mounted before DVDDecrypter is started,
   or else it won't see the drive.  Once running, you can use the "load" and
   "eject" buttons to swap discs.

Even though DVDDecrypter hasn't been updated in some time (and won't be updated
ever again), I have yet to run across a movie it can't rip.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter