[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 18 02:19:20 UTC 2007

Kevin Hulse wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 05:54:17PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>> "MPEG2 doesn't compress very well, and almost no one's making MPEG4
>>> hardware tuners."
>> Plextor PX-TV402U. It works well with Myth.
>
> 	Even transcode jobs work well with myth. I believe they
> achieve basically the same outcome.
>
> 	Remote transcode jobs are a thing of beauty.

I agree, but they require time and CPU cycles. The Plextor does hardware
mpeg4.

It can also do mpeg2, but Myth does not (yet) support those modes.

There are some drawbacks to mpeg4 though, and drive space is so cheap
these days that I still use mpeg2. It certainly saves time if you want
to archive to DVD.

beww