[mythtv-users] MythTV media server on PS3

jurus001 at umn.edu jurus001 at umn.edu
Thu Oct 18 04:01:10 UTC 2007

> Does anyone know how I can get to see all my TV shows on my PS3 from my
> MythTV backend. I am using MythTV svn
>
> I have 2 tuners PVR-150 and Hd5500 DVB card.
>
> I am able to properly see shows that have been encoded in MPEG2 using my
> PVR-150 card.
>
> Some of the HDTV shows captured using QAM ( ComCast ) appear without
> sound.
>
> When I transcoded my shows to use MPEG4, my PS3 didn't support this
> format.
>
> Are there any solutions,tweaks I can do to be able to stream my shows to
> PS3 and transcoding the data to a form that the PS3 understands?
>
> thx

I'm having the same problem with my PS3. The issue is that the playstation
does not support AC3 audio when the video is in MPEG2-TS format.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

The simple solution to this problem should be to convert the MPEG2-TS video
to MPEG2-PS, which you can do with the lossless transcode option. However,
I cannot get this to produce a file playable by the PS3.

I've spent hours trying to convert the video from MPEG2-TS to PS in a
format playable on the PS3 and have not had any success. I've tried
MythTV's lossless transcode as well as the ffmpeg and mencoder scripts in
the wiki. I'd be interested in any success stories or suggestions.

-Leigh