[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 18 17:38:29 UTC 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> And, FWIW, I now *have* read that Google paper, or at least the
> abstract and the lede, and it doesn't mention SCSI disks at *all*; I
> repeat: the Google White Paper *does not say* that ATA disks are
> just as
> reliable as equivalent SCSI disks.

That doesn't surprise me.  From what I've heard, Google is heavily
focused on $ per unit of performance, and as a result they use mostly
commodity hardware.  I would actually be surprised if they were
running a lot of SCSI disks.

BTW, I just looked at Seagate's site and there's NO difference in
MTBF between Barracuda serially-attached-SCSI and SATA disks.  MTBF
for the Cheetah SAS drives is slightly higher.  (They don't make a
Cheetah SATA drive.)  They don't quote MTBF for their desktop-class
drives.  But what's really interesting is that *all* of these drives
have the same 5-year warranty.  Since they don't quote service life,
I'm guessing the warranty is probably the best indicator of how long
they really think these drives will last.