[mythtv-users] Dual Head Nvidia Card setup

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:35:03 UTC 2007

>Dual desktops - we have two monitors, two keyboards, two mice
connected
>to the same box.  I've had it set up with two separate video
cards but
>now I have one card with dual-DVI outputs so I'm looking for
the part of
>the config where you tell it which port to use with which
setup.

You mean Multiseat, not Dual desktop? You can not do that with
one
nVidia card with two DVIs. Here is howto, but you will need two
cards:
http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/14-Multiseat-X-Under-X11R6.97.0.html

Some ATI cards can do that, nVidia can't.

MY REPONSE IS BELOW

I have to completely disagree with the response above. I have a XFX GeForce
6200 128mb DDR RAM which has a VGA port and a DVI port and I run 2 Seperate
Desktops. Using the Nvidia X-Config application or whatever it's called it's
easily as selecting a checkbox whether you want TwinView (which puts one
desktop over 2 displays) or whether you want 2 seperate Screens. I use 2
seperate screens, I work in one and I run mythfrontend in the other. It's
great! I can't attach my xorg.conf because my internet connection has been
dying lately due to my roommate running to many torrents so I can't ssh into
my box. Either my ISP is severing my connection (i have to unplug modem then
router, and plug in modem first, then router to get internet back) or it's
because the NIC cards are crapping out due too many connections or because
my Netgear Router craps out due to too many connecitons. YES, I have setup
my roommate BitTorrent program to only allow about 80% max download which
leaves 20% for response packets or whatever you call it.

Bottom line, is that you don't need to 2 video cards to run 2 seperate
screens. Also, we're not talking about running 2 X servers, we are talking
about 2 seperate screens driven by one x server to the best of my knowledge.

Daniel