[mythtv-users] Dual Head Nvidia Card setup

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Oct 18 20:24:25 UTC 2007

Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Daniel Arfsten wrote:
>> MY REPONSE IS BELOW
>>
>> I have to completely disagree with the response above.
>>

> Actually, I think you do need two cards for what Yan is wanting. Because
> he actually wanting two mice, two keyboards, two monitors. Not just dual
> head. I believe the video devices must be separate for such a terminal.
> You could however have two dual head video cards creating 4 desktops, 2
> for each virtual terminal. Man, I'd hate to see that xorg.conf file
> though. :-P
>
> This site takes it to the extreme with 6 VTs.
> http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
> Mike

Yup, I just went round and round and finally found this (and confirmed
it on my own):

 > Many of the X drivers will work just fine with two screens at one
 > physical PCI address -- but that is two screens in X terminology, not
 > two displays. So you can use both outputs for one user, but not for
 > two separate users.
 >
 > The reason for this is that each display is a separate instance of the
 > X server (process). You can't have two processes access the same  >
 > hardware without building some arbitration code, or having the first
 > server expose an interface to the card to the second server, or
 > building a arbitration process that both servers would talk to.

Oh well, I was trying to scrooge and save a slot, and I guess that won't
happen.  Fortunately the mobo I have has two pcie-16 slots, so I can
stick another nvidia card in there and save my 3 precious PCI slots for
tuners.

(when, oh when will we have a pcie-anything tuner that works with linux????)

--Yan

--
  o__

'man' is short for 'manual' because it's very short, for a manual.