[mythtv-users] cx88-blackbird & avermedia M150-D

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 22:04:28 UTC 2007

Hi, thank you for getting back to me with this
question.  I did use the mythtv wiki entry as the
basis for my install, but I have two problems with it.
 Oh, and I'm using gentoo's 'mythtv-0.20.2_p14680'
ebuild.

  One, the cx88-blackbird (from v4l repo) driver no
longer recognizes the old firmware file, so the
instructions for pulling the firmware from windows
drivers no longer applies.  It will only accept the
new firmware file that the IVTV developers provide.  I
don't know if that's a good thing or not since there's
no documentation as to whether it works with drivers
besides the IVTV drivers.  I did successfully capture
an mpeg2 stream as was stated in my previous email, so
I don't think there's a driver or firmware problem.

Two, the instructions say to configure it as an MPEG2
Hardware encoder card.  So I do, and when I go to
mythtv to watch the result, I get a black screen, no
audio, and mythfrontend is unresponsive for the rest
of the session.

  First chance I get, I'll provide log files, but for
now I will say that the mythtv log file that I checked
afterwards continually showed errors with reference to
IVTV at the time that I tried to enable the card.  I
didn't compile mythtv with IVTV enabled, nor does the
card have anything to do with IVTV.  So that gets me
to thinking that the configuration for MPEG2 Hardware
cards only applies to IVTV devices.  So where exactly
is Avermedia's card supported in myth?  If it's in
SVN, then I'll have to wait until the ebuild comes
out, because I don't want to populate my system with
too much unstable software.

  Well, as you may see, it's been very frustrating for
me.  I expected the card to be more compatible,
because the blackbird drivers have gotten more mature.
 In windows, at least, some people like this card
better than the hauppauge cards.  If you could
describe your setup, what version software you are
using, and what firmware (check the size of it) you
are using, that could be of help.  As for me, when I
get back, I'll post my log files.

Thank you very much,
Sam