[mythtv-users] cx88-blackbird & avermedia M150-D

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 02:38:00 UTC 2007

Well I took on the Avermedia card on purpose for the
challenge.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong with
the card, and I get to use the same modules that my
first card uses (aside from blackbird).  There's so
little being done about the card, I thought I'd
communicate with a few people and change that.  The
people at linuxtv.org have been doing a lot to enhance
and fix the blackbird driver, and I think that better
support for it will come in time.

  I'm not against purchasing a better supported card
for the system if I decide that I really am going up a
blind alley, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to deal
with the ivtv drivers.  I just feel that I'm adding
more and more modules to my kernel, when all this time
I've been trying to skim it down.

Sam

--------
On Thursday 18 October 2007 19:22:07 you wrote:
> Hi,
> I actually do need the latest v4l drivers.  My 1st
> card is a DVICO FusionHDTV5 RT, a conexant card, and
> which is only supported in the latest repositories.
> Perhaps, instead, the mythtv developers might be
> persuaded to update their support for blackbird
cards?
>  As far as I know that's my only solution.  From my
> perspective, the mythtv software is all that's
holding
> my system back.

You can certainly try contacting the developers to
explain your problem
 and
try to get a fix. Short of that, I suggest you try
disabling the
 Blackbird
drivers in the latest v4l drivers, using the v4l
drivers for your
 Conexant
card, and using a 2.6.19 (or thereabouts) kernel for
the Blackbird
 card. I'm
not positive that'll work; there may be driver
dependencies that'll
 cause you
grief. It's worth a shot, though. Alternatively, you
could try
 overwriting
the Blackbird driver files in the latest v4l drivers
with those from a
 2.6.19
kernel. It's conceivable they'd compile and work OK,
although it's also

entirely possible that such a "Frankendriver" would
refuse to compile.
Sometimes you get lucky with something like that,
though.

Of course, another alternative is just to chuck the
AVerMedia M150-D
 and
replace it with a Hauppauge PVR-x50/500 card. The
Hauppauge MPEG-2 PCI
 cards
are certainly the best supported in Linux. This
solution will cost you
 some
money, but there's the cost of your own time fiddling
with the
barely-supported AVerMedia card, too....

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com