[mythtv-users] MythTV backend crashing constantly

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:44:50 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What sorts of troubleshooting techniques can I employ to figure out why
> my Myth backend is crashing all the time? It happens so randomly that I
> can't really get a strace in, and nothing terribly obvious is being
> outputted to the logs:

I have had similar problems with my backend crashing ever since I upgraded
from Dapper to Feisty while at the same time upgrading to 0.20.2

I followed the directions for debugging with gdb:

I start the backend now with

while true; do date >> gdb.txt; gdb mythbackend -x gdbcommands; done;

Wouldn't you know it runs now without problems.   So now I just always run
it that way.  I have been watching the list closely hoping that someone else
may have a key.  Either that or I am hoping 0.21 won't have the same issue
for me.

My guess is that it might have something to do with EIT scanning.   There
have been some threads that suggested that could cause some problems.   I
turned it on during the upgrade when I setup schedules direct.  I have since
turned if off, completely wiped out my cards and set everything up from
scratch but I still have the problems though.