[mythtv-users] 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10/Mythtv

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:00:24 UTC 2007

My system consists of: (I'm only listing what I believe to be relevant, let
me know if more detail could help)

Frontend:

CPU: PentiumD 830
Graphics: Geforce 7900GT
Display: Dell 1905PF

Backend/Frontend:

CPU: Pentium4 2.8ghz (400mhz bus)
Graphics: Geforce FX5200
Tuner0: PVR 250
Tuner1: PVR 500
Tuner2: PVR 500

>Check your settings for MythDVD. Mine was pointing to the wrong device.

I believe my MythDVD settings are ok, since it spins the correct drive, and
plays the correct audio, it's just the video that has problems (there would
have to be one hell of a coincidence for the correct audio to come from the
wrong drive)

>   Livetv works fine on my Frontend/Backend machine (running Ubuntu
> 7.10 i386).  I had problems viewing

> what problems ?

Sorry, my job interrupted, and I trialled off on that point.  I had problems
viewing most any kind of visual media file after I installed on my
backend/frontend, as well as my Frontend.  On my backend/frontend, I was
able to install "w32codecs" which seems to have solved the problem.  On my
Frontend, since it is running the AMD64 version, I had to install the
"w64codecs" package, and that seemed to allow me to play some files, but not
all.

>Are yo using the Mythbuntu stuff?

?Are you using the old Ubuntu style of packages?

I'm using the old style Ubuntu packages.  I have used Mythbuntu a bit in the
past, but I haven't tried installing the Mythbuntu packages on top of an
existing Ubuntu install.  Is anyone running the new Mythbuntu packages with
any success?  I'm not apposed to the idea, but I always got my desired
result with the standard packages, so I tried to stick with what works.

Anyway, being that this is Ubuntu, and that my problem in general is
displaying video I figured there would be some simple how-to that would
explain how to "add x repository, sudo apt-get update, and then install x
package" as is the solution to just about every problem with an everyday
task like displaying video in Ubuntu.  I am sitting several miles away from
my machines right now or I'd give more details.

Josh

.  I get a similar problem when viewing TV (I get audio but not video).  I'm
using a GeForce 7900GT video card on a PentiumD830 w/1gb ram.  I have 2
tuner cards in my Backend/Frontend, a PVR 250 and a PVR 500.  Both work fine
in my Backend/Frontend.  However, my standalone Frontend is the one