[mythtv-users] [mythtv] MySQL database location

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 16:39:32 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Mitch Gore wrote:
>> On 10/17/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would bet--if it's not data--that it's your log files taking up the
>>> space--specifically, MySQL binary log files.
>>>

>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=%22binary+log%22
>>>
>> ill remove some of the larger ones. i dont see where the my sql one is.
>> Where should i be looking?

I think, to misquote some film I once saw, "these are not the log files you are
looking for". What Mike means are what I would probably call "journals". These
are the files that Mysql makes as it goes along so that it can fix the database
if ever it should go titsup. On my system at least they can be found under
/var/lib/mysql - mine are called mysql-bin.nnnnn where nnnn is a number. *Do not
delete them*. To get rid of them, you have to make an adjustment to your Mysql
configuration. After making the change, Mysql will clean them up on it's own.

Unfortunately, I foget exactly what the needed change is, it's been a while
since I did mine. No doubt someone with a better memory will be right along with
the answer.

Mike Perkins