[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Oct 19 17:38:09 UTC 2007

    > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:10:09 -0700
    > From: David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>

    > On Oct 18, 2007, at 2:28 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > > (None of them were
    > > "AV-rated" drives or anything fancy; they were essentially the
    > > cheapest drive of the given capacity available from either vendor.)

    > "AV-rated" drives don't exist anymore, except maybe as a marketing
    > gimmick.  The term used to refer to drives that didn't have to stop
    > streaming data to do thermal calibration, but that's become a
    > standard feature for hard disks in general now.

Yes, I know.  I just mentioned that to head off the otherwise-inevitable
nitpicking over whether the drives were "really" rated for "24x7" or "media"
use, etc etc.  My basic point was that the specs on the Maxtors and the
Seagates were comparable (and I know how to read them), yet the Maxtors
clearly couldn't cope with continous head motion for 6 months or virtually
-zero- head motion for a couple of years, whereas the Seagates could.

Hence supporting the basic point that vendor differences may have a
lot more to do with perceptions of reliability than what electrical
interface a drive may use.