[mythtv-users] 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10/Mythtv

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Oct 19 19:21:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 14:47 -0400, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> In my experience, media players such as mplayer, xine, and MythTV will
> either refuse to play a file entirely or show no video in the case of
> missing or malfunctioning codec. I don't think "pink/green squiggly
> horizontal lines" are typically a software codec problem.

absolutely right.

> However, I think you might have a video driver problem.

hence my original question about X driver status.

> I have Gutsy
> (Ubuntu 7.10) running on two machines. My desktop machine has an
> Nvidia
> 7900GS based PCIe card an I'm using Nvidia's driver version 100.14.19
> from Ubuntu's nvidia-glx-new package. I see green and pink squiggly
> lines in a video window at seemingly random times.

You know what, I'm an idiot with a very short memory... I had the same
problem as your with my 7100GS.

I was running the nvidia-glx-new (100.14.19) restricted driver. Whenever
I started watching live TV, it was fine. When I switched to videos using
mplayer, weird color and lines. If I restarted, I could play the mplayer
stuff fine, but going to live TV gave me back the pink stuff.

I solved the issue by using nvidia-glx (9xxx series). Problem solved.

I should document this; at least on my web page.

Nico