[mythtv-users] merging/spliting recordings

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 21:31:52 UTC 2007

I already thought that nobody is actually interested in this :).

I wanted to make a DVD with recordings today, and I found out that two
episodes are ending in next recording, which usually should not be on
the DVD. I repaired that manually on the shell, and it was  not
complicated process, but it still a step which cannot be done without
remote, but only on the shell ... a few seconds are gone, but that is
not too tragic.

> Someone (sorry, I don't have details) is working on a system to write to
> two files simultaneously when necessary, so in the situation you
> describe with back-to-back recordings on the same channel you shouldn't
> lose any seconds.

Can this be downloaded somewhere?

M.

2007/10/19, John Veness <John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk>:
> Ma Begaj wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read a few months ago on the list, that someone is working on the
> > option to merge/split recordings.
> >
> > Did somebody hear anything about this any more?
> >
> > I can merge recordings on the shell by using cat file1.mpg file2.mpg >
> > file3.mpg, but it would be nice to be able to do it in mythtv. I just
> > have such a situation and I remembered that someone mentioned this on
> > the list.
> >
> > Also it is pretty stupid, when two recordings are starting one after
> > other (example: two Prison Break episodes) and when 1st episode is
> > ending in the 2nd recording, because the recordings are split in two
> > files. Two recordings are also stealing a few  (2-3) seconds from the
> > show, because of the break between.
> >
> > M.
>
> Someone (sorry, I don't have details) is working on a system to write to
> two files simultaneously when necessary, so in the situation you
> describe with back-to-back recordings on the same channel you shouldn't
> lose any seconds.
>
> Even when that feature arrives, I agree that splitting and merging
> recordings within Myth would be useful. I have films split over two
> recordings (the news was in-between the two halves) which I would like
> to merge, and 3-hour recordings of 'compilations' which I would like to
> split.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>
> --
> John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T

Glauben heißt nicht wissen wollen, was wahr ist ... Nietzsche