[mythtv-users] Looking for a Mini Mac/AOpen mini PC replacement

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 01:55:46 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> At 4:15 PM -0400 10/19/07, Chris Ribe wrote:
> >Just a nit to pick here, but I see this myth floated out there a lot.  A
> mac mini is not silent.  It is extremely quiet under light load, but it
> sounds like a jet aircraft when its fan starts going.
>
> I have two Intel Minis and they most definitely do not make any jet
> aircraft sounds.  Even while transcoding and playing back HD material
> simultaneously.  Maybe the old G4's did.

Perhaps I am unfairly projecting.  I can't stand to be in the same room as
my macbook when the fans kick on (which is whenever the cpu usage goes
consistently over  25%  total) because of the combination of fan noise and
pitch.   The mac mini  that I had on my desk  for several  weeks recently
was at least as loud , but in fairness, the fan ran at 100% all the time
because I accidentally left the fan controller unplugged when I swapped the
HD into my macbook.

As for G4s, don't even suggest such a thing!

The G4 was a low power processor, in every sense of the word.

Earlier this year I went from a 15" 1.67Ghz PowerBook to a
1.83Ghzmacbook.    I liked almost everything about the powerbook
better: the
screen, the keyboard, the battery life, the DVI port.  I say *almost*
everything, because all those things are vastly outweighed by the fact that
the macbook is *5 times faster*.   I shit you not, for certain tasks, like
transcoding DV to h.264, the macbook completes tasks *10* times faster than
the powerbook.   Like, what used to take 10 minutes now takes 1 minute.

The ability to run a windows VM on the macbook is a push, because it's what
got my boss to buy the new computer, but it means I have to run windows
(puke).

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer