[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Oct 20 10:52:11 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:

> I even had a couple of SCSI devices for a while that both had no
> internal termination, *and* had no daisy-chain port for an external
> terminator.  This was particularly common on scanners.  They worked,
> sort of, if you put them on a SCSI-1 bus and there were no other
> devices.

Ugh. So-called SCSI scanners. Got bitten by one once. Connected it to the end of
my SCSI bus, powered up, and it completely hosed my SCSI hard disk (this was
about 10-11 years ago). The scanner got sent straight back to the store, and I
spent about a hour explaining that the scanner didn't follow the SCSI interface
specification properly before they would give me my money back. I had to
threaten them with Trading Standards in the end.

That sort of thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If the box says SCSI, it
should do what it says. None of this "let's implement just enough of the
standard to get our device to work with our closed source poorly written driver"
nonsense.

</rant>

Mike Perkins