[mythtv-users] Looking for a Mini Mac/AOpen mini PC replacement

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Oct 20 18:33:47 UTC 2007

At 7:50 PM -0700 10/19/07, Mark Knecht wrote:
>Hi Craig,
>   I've got one of the original PPC-based Minis here. No one seems to
>want to use it so I was wondering about using it as a front-end. Do
>you think it will work for regular cable TV recordings?

Try and see!  You can get prebuilt binaries from:
http://www.thesniderpad.com//index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36

I've never had a G4 mini...let us know how it works.

>   I think I'd prefer to put some sort of Linux on if you have a
>recommendation.

Actually, I'm not running Linux at all.  [Moans and gasps from the crowd.]  At work, I've been involved with quite a variety of systems (mainframes, AS/400, Vax, Unix, Windows, ...) but I've been a Mac user at home for over 15 years.

Besides, the first thing I learned about Linux is that you better have your fire-proof undies on before recommending a distro!

Craig