[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 22:56:11 UTC 2007

On 10/21/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> That datacenter buyers still use SCSI (and shortly, SAS) drives
> exclusively, even over that 6:1 price disadvantage -- and the need to
> sell it to PHBs -- tells me that the price differential exists for a
> reason, or those guys would lose their jobs.

Yet Google use IDE. That tells me that a lot of the people choosing SCSI are
doing so purely because "that's the way it's always been done". Admittedly
if you want 15k drives you have to choose SCSI. But in terms of reliability
if there was really much evidence that SCSI was better we'd be able to point
to studies that show that. Instead all we've got is a lot of anecdotes.

Cheers,
Steve