[mythtv-users] killing backend

norman norman at littletank.org
Sun Oct 21 13:07:24 UTC 2007

> Is it definitely mythbackend that is causing the disk activity? If you
> stop the backend does the activity then stop also? If it does then we
> need to see an extract of the mythbackend log from around the time where
> the activity starts. You might have to start the backend using
> additional verbose options to see exactly what is happening.

Since stopping the backend there has been no more unwanted disc
activity. You can probably tell from the question I ask that I am not
very computerate so, if you tell me how, I will find the log extract.

> I think some one said it might be the EIT scanner that is causing the
> problem. That should be easy to eliminate. First stop mythackend then
> run mythtv-setup. Go to '3. Video Sources' then select each video source
> in turn and on the settings page make sure 'Perform EIT Scan' is
> unchecked. The EIT scanner is only used on DVB type cards but it wont
> hurt to turn it off for all sources. I don't use the EIT scanner myself
> but I think that should be all that is required to prevent it running. I
> wouldn't have thought it would create so much disk activity but since I
> don't use it I could be wrong. Don't forget to restart the backend
> afterwards.

Having run mythtv-setup I went to '3. Video Sources' where there is one
entry, 'Preview'. It is in '4' that the perform scan is located and
there is no check box by it. Perhaps there is somewhere else where this
is, I must look around.

Norman