[mythtv-users] Will Myth do this?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 21 17:10:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:00:29AM +0000, Kevin Robbins wrote:
> The backend will be in the basement, it will have 4 twinhan DBV-S pci
> cards allowing for 4 recordings at once. HD storage will be done with
> 4 terabyte sata HD's. 2 TB raids.

Only 2TB?

Piker.  :-)

> 1. Will mythweb allow remote viewing over the internet in a browser
> somewhat like a slingbox?

In fact it will now, though what it's going to do is permit you to
download (by clicking on the thumbnail) the entire recorded program to
your machine where it will start playing.

It won't do live TV like a Sling, and it won't (currently) stream --
and moving between .35 and 4GB may take a while depending on the
*uplink* speed at your house -- if you have FIOS at both ends, this
might be practical...

> 3. Can I control the frontends Solely with a remote control? Or do I
> need a keyboard?

You can... but if you want to type program names for searching, you'll
find that having a keyboard *as well* will be a useful thing.

My sis's box has only an IR keyboard, and we find that works just fine
for us.

> 6. Will it be reliable??

It will, by and large, be as reliable as your hardware is.

I would recommend server class hardware, Tyan, Supermicro, or the
high-end Asus boards, for your backend.  Cool them well.

There have been half a dozen hardware and cooling oriented threads here
on the ML in the last year; go check the Gossamer Threads archive.

Cheers,
-- jra