[mythtv-users] spontaneous reboots after upgrade & move to Ubuntu - IVTV/pre-emptive kernel locks?

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:53:07 UTC 2007

I have found out that certain mixes of kernel and ivtv drivers work well
together.  I have stuck with 2.6.18-1.2239 (fedora core 5) and ivtv
0.8.2-123 because of this.  No spontaneous reboots ever with this system
which runs 24/7 for months on end.  I practically forget that I am watching
LiveTV instead of regular tv.   It happily supports 1 PVR500 and 2
PVR250's.  Just for fun and also because supposedly it is the stable release
and sheer curiosity, I compiled a 0.10.5 ivtv kmdl rpm and when I installed
it, the system rebooted after a few minutes of recording or watching live
tv, each time.   So back to 0.8.2-123.   It might not be the kernel, so I am
glad I found an srpm of ivtv 0.8.2-123 from some old atrpms mirror, in case
I need to upgrade the kernel.