[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Oct 22 16:45:10 UTC 2007

On Oct 20, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:14:50PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> Beta is still in use by commercial broadcasters, while the "pro"
>>> variant
>>> of VHS (DVC Pro) is used only by very low-budget outfits.
>>
>> Beta is only-just-barely still in brodcast use; anything top-30
>> markets
>> is into at least DigiBeta, which shares nothing but the cartride.
>
> Well the "small shell" beta, in all of its incarnations, certainly
> had a
> great run. From camcorders (dockable and otherwise), BetaCart
> machines,
> the Sony LMS machines...

How much did BetaCam really resemble the Beta consumer standard,
though?  Did it share anything except the housing?  I've seen
consumer Beta and BetaCam next to each other and the difference in
quality is stark, even more than VHS vs. SVHS.

I'm not sure the fact that Sony managed to lock broadcasters into a
proprietary format that happened to carry the same name is a sign of
the original format's superiority.