[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Oct 22 17:42:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 09:45:10AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >>
> >> Beta is only-just-barely still in brodcast use; anything top-30
> >> markets
> >> is into at least DigiBeta, which shares nothing but the cartride.
> >
> > Well the "small shell" beta, in all of its incarnations, certainly
> > had a
> > great run. From camcorders (dockable and otherwise), BetaCart
> > machines,
> > the Sony LMS machines...
>
> How much did BetaCam really resemble the Beta consumer standard,
> though?  Did it share anything except the housing?  I've seen
> consumer Beta and BetaCam next to each other and the difference in
> quality is stark, even more than VHS vs. SVHS.

BetaCam was BetaMax at a higher tape speed.  BetaCamSP was ED Beta at a
higher tape speed.  SX and DigiBeta do only share the shell.  But it's
a damned fine shell.  :-)

Qualitywise, ED was probably equivalent to BetaCam (being it was on
metal particle tape).  SP smoked them both.

but I learned, 20 years ago, when I saw it on a 19" Sony engineering
monitor, that you can get broadcast quality results out of VHS, if you
feed it a good enough signal.  (Someone in my TV production class at
votech had a Panasonic WV-555 or -777 feeding an NV-8450 portable; I'd
air it...)

Cheers,
-- jra