[mythtv-users] Wrong aspect ratio, weird fonts after upgrading to ubuntu gutsy 7.10

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 18:25:08 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/21/2007 07:12 AM, Dean Harding wrote:
>> Joan Vallés wrote:
>>
>>> Just upgraded to Gutsy (7.10) and I've started to have problems when
>>> viewing recordings. My box is connected to a Samsung LCD TV (16:9) which
>>> has a resolution of 1360x768, before upgrading when I watched 4:3
>>> material with zoom off it played well just with two black bars on the
>>> side; now it fills all the screen. On the other side, 16:9 material gets
>>> letter boxed and it should not.
>>>
>> There's a setting somewhere under Setup->Something (TV Setttings
>> possibly?)->Playback (can't remember exactly) where you specify your
>> screen's aspect ratio.
>>
>> I found that after I upgraded to Gutsy, that setting had been changed to
>> 4:3 (I believe it may have had to do with the NVIDIA drivers being
>> updated, possibly). Once I set that to 16:9, it all worked fine again.
> Actually, the setting wasn't changed.  It just didn't appear until you
> upgraded X (the new X does things differently--not sure whether it's a
> bug or what).  So, you set it for the first time after upgrading.  It
> shouldn't be required unless you have multiple displays (and the newest
> versions of Myth trunk and 0.20-fixes SVN) now work with even the new X
> to find out if it's needed, so you'll see the setting disappear again
> and it will do the right thing.

This is troubling.  I intend to upgrade to Gutsy.  What happens if I
have two xsessions?  I have a 4:3 TV on the as DISPLAY=0.1 and a 16:9
projector on DISPLAY=0.0.

I switch between them by doing this.

for 16:9 projector:
mythfrontend -O Theme=blootube-wide -display :0.0 --geometry 1280x720+0+0

for 4:3 TV:
mythfrontend -display :0.1

I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to run into problems.

Jon