[mythtv-users] Simultaneous AC3/DTS passthrough & stereo analog output

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 03:00:47 UTC 2007

Bob wrote:
> I'm using an Audigy2 in one PC and an SB Live value in another (both
> Debian etch) and I output to a 5.1 speaker system over S/PDIF coax and
> to my headphones (via the TV) over analogue stereo.
>
> I have AC3 passthrough working when I call mplayer with -afm hwac3, (I
> think DTS will work but can't find a test clip) and I can soft decode
> and downmix the AC3 audio with -afm liba52, so that's all great, except
> that with -afm liba52 rear left and right are mixed and I don't get
> anything out of the LFE track.
>
> What I can't do is both at once which would make life easer for SWMBO.
>
> My google search (below) has reviled I'm not alone in wanting this
> (including a number of threads here) but hints that it may not be
> possible, however, my search skills are week so I thought I'd ask.
> "ac3 passthrough" "analog (output | stereo | downmix)" (simultaneous |
> "both at" | "same time")
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get this working?
>
> I can install more than one sound card, so if it can be done but only on
> a second card I'm still interested in the solution
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> PS: Though the PCs in question aren't MythTV frontends at the moment,
> that is their destiny and since this community seems to be one of the
> most knowledgeable with regard to linux sound issues I thought I'd ask here.
>
> PPS: I asked the same question on the debian-user list 10 days ago but
> with no luck so sorry to those who, like me, are subscribed to both.

Someone on debian-user suggested I look in to PulseAudio but it appears
that PulseAudio cannot do AC3 pass through. it may be possible to get it
to work by having mplayer output 6 channel PCM, splitting that to 2
streams, downmixing one stream to stereo and outputting it to the analog
output and using a real time software AC3 encoder to re-encode the
second stream then outputting that to S/PDIF.

There would be quite a quality/performance penalty though, particularly
at low volume.

Oh well, guess it's not possible, it's funny, usually a product
implemented in software gives you more flexibility than a dedicated
hardware version but my cheep consumer DVD player automatically does this.

Thank you for your time.