[mythtv-users] Wrong aspect ratio, weird fonts after upgrading to ubuntu gutsy 7.10

Ashley Bostock abostock at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:36:15 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:

> which
> gets
> >>>
> >> There's a setting somewhere under Setup->Something (TV Setttings
> >> possibly?)->Playback (can't remember exactly) where you specify your
> >> screen's aspect ratio.
> >>
> >> I found that after I upgraded to Gutsy, that setting had been changed
> >> 4:3 (I believe it may have had to do with the NVIDIA drivers being
> >> updated, possibly). Once I set that to 16:9, it all worked fine again.
> > Actually, the setting wasn't changed.  It just didn't appear until you
> > upgraded X (the new X does things differently--not sure whether it's a
> > bug or what).  So, you set it for the first time after upgrading.  It
> > shouldn't be required unless you have multiple displays (and the newest
> > versions of Myth trunk and 0.20-fixes SVN) now work with even the new X
> > to find out if it's needed, so you'll see the setting disappear again
> > and it will do the right thing.
>

> This is troubling.  I intend to upgrade to Gutsy.  What happens if I
> have two xsessions?  I have a 4:3 TV on the as DISPLAY=0.1 and a 16:9
> projector on DISPLAY=0.0.
>
> I switch between them by doing this.
>
> for 16:9 projector:
> mythfrontend -O Theme=blootube-wide -display :0.0 --geometry 1280x720+0+0
>
> for 4:3 TV:
> mythfrontend -display :0.1
>
> I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm going to run into problems.
>
> Jon

I have the same font problem with gutsy + mythtv but can't seem to resolve
it with the previous advice.
I have myth running on a 16:10 monitor at 1920x1200 (Dell 2405fpw) and my
xorg.conf has...
DisplaySize 519 325
... which should be the correct aspect ratio and I've checked X is using
this size setting by running xdpyinfo.

The main menu fonts look great in myth, but the OSD fonts only display
correctly if the aspect ratio is set to 4:3.
Is myth seeing the 16:10 ratio and ignoring it (as it only has 4:3, 16:9,
14:9) then defaulting to 4:3?  or am I doing something else wrong?

Ash